- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups raw kale, chopped (be sure to remove the spiny sections, there won't be many, but those that remain will be tough)
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans, undrained, split
- 2 (15 ounce) canssliced carrots, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Add garlic and onion; saute until soft and the onion is transparent.
- Wash the kale, leaving small droplets of water. Saute, stirring, until wilted and a lovely emerald green, about 15 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the broth, reserving 1 cup, 2 cups of the beans, reserving 1 cup, all of the carrots, tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, mix the reserved beans and broth until smooth.
- Stir into the soup to thicken it nicely.
- Simmer 15 more minutes.
- Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with chopped parsley and shredded parmesan.
- Serve with a nice loaf of crusty bread to soak up all the yummy broth!
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.