- 1 lb large scallop (sliced 2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine or 3⁄4 cup vermouth
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons shallots (minced) or 2 tablespoons scallions (minced)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place scallops in saucepan with wine or vermouth, mushrooms, seasonings & herbs.
- Add water, if necessary, to almost cover ingredients.
- Bring to simmer & then cover pan & simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
- Remove scallops & mushrooms & place into a bowl.
- Rapidly boil down the cooking liquid until reduced to the amount of 1 cup.
- Melt 3 tbsp of butter in a new pan& stir in the flour until smooth.
- Cook slowly for 2 minutes without browning.
- Remove from heat & beat in the scallop cooking liquid.
- Stir with whip over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Thin out with milk.
- Blend egg yolks in a bowl with half of the heavy cream.
- Beat in the hot sauce driblets.
- Return to the pan & stir over medium heat until sauce comes to a slight boil.
- Thin out, as necessary, with more cream or milk.
- Carefully correct seasoning & add lemon juice & sugar if needed.
- Fold 2/3 of sauce into the scallops & mushrooms & spoon into lightly buttered large shells or individual ramekins (round baking bowls).
- Spoon on the remaining sauce & sprinkle with the cheese.
- Top with bread crumbs & place little dabs of butter on top.
- Then sprinkle with paprika.
- Place into broiler until lightly browned & serve with crusty bread if desired.