- 2 lbs beets (about 6 small to medium beets)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Carefully scrub the beets clean trimming off the leaves and the long root tip. Tightly wrap beets in aluminum foil and place in oven for 40-50 minutes or until the beets are tender and the skin is loose. Remove from oven and cut a slit in the foil to allow the steam to escape.
- Allow the beets to cool enough so that you can handle them. Trim the ends and peel the skin. The skin should slip of quite easily. If not then perhaps the beets need a bit more cooking. Cut the peeled beets into sixths or eighths - depending on the size of your beets.
- Heat oil under medium low heat. Add ginger and cook one or two minutes. Keep the heat low as you are looking to release the flavor. If your ginger sizzles or browns, then your heat is too high. Add the beets and cook two or three minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook another minute or so. The oil, vinegar and ginger should create nice glaze covering the beets.
- Serve and enjoy.