- 1 lb cucumber
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese white rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 small fresh red chile, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, cut in strips and blanched (optional)
- Peel cucumbers and slice in half lengthwise.
- Using a teaspoon, carve out the bitter seeds and discard.
- Cut the cucumbers into 3x1/2-inch slices. Place cucumber slices in a colander and sprinkle salt over them. Stir the cucumber slices in order to distribute the salt as evenly as possible. Allow to drain for 15 minutes while you make the sauce.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together in small bowl.
- Rinse the cucumber slices, drain, pat dry with paper towels, then mix with the sauce and allow to marinate 10 minutes.
- Garnish with red pepper strips, if using.