- 4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket (with spices)
- 8 small white potatoes or 8 small yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut into 10 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 -5 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Combine the water vinegar, sugar, pepper and onions, in a 6 qt crock pot and mix well.
- Place corned beef and contents of spice packet in the mixture.
- Scatter the potatoes and carrots over the top and along the sides.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and scatter the cabbage wedges over the top.
- Cover and continue cooking on low 3-4 hours longer, or until beef is tender.
- To serve, carve the beef into slices against the grain and serve with the cabbage and potatoes, with some of the cooking liquid spooned on top of the beef to keep it moist.