- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Oil an 8" x 4" loaf bread pan or an 8" x 8" round cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cornmeal.
- Beat together the yogurt, eggs, and olive oil.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and mix well but don't overwork.
- Pour into the oiled pan and bake for 30 minutes, until the top is golden and the bread firm.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool another 15 minutes or more before slicing (for a loaf) or cutting into squares or wedges if baked into a cake pan.
- Storing: Cover the pan with foil, or keep leftover pieces in plastic bags.
- This bread does not freeze well.