- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) beef eye round
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven; brown roast on all sides. Add onion and cook until transparent. Add coffee, 3/4 cup water, bouillon, basil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan juices.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove roast and slice. Pass the gravy.