- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon flour
- For the meatballs, in a large bowl combine the lamb, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and garam masala and mix well-- use your hands, they work the best!
- Roll the mixture into 1" meatballs.
- You should gat about 16 or so.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.
- Add meatballs and fry until browned on all sides.
- While the meatballs are browning, place tomatoes in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Remove meatballs from skillet, leaving drippings in the pan.
- Set aside.
- Reduce heat a little, and add the onion to the pan drippings and saute until softened.
- Add more oil if needed.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, curry powder, cayenne pepper and sugar.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to combine.
- Add 1 cup of the chicken broth to the skillet.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add half and half, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring well to blend.
- Mix remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and flour in a small cup until smooth, and add to skillet.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, add meatballs, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.