- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add a small amount of buttermilk to the honey and whisk until smooth, then add the remaining marinade ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Place chicken breasts in a zipper bag, pour marinade over and seal, turning to coat.
- Refrigerate 4-8 hours, turning occasionally. A longer marinating time will yield a more tender and flavourful result.
- Grill on medium setting until no longer pink.
- Note: You don't need a pool of marinade around the chicken but if it seems scant add bit more buttermilk.
- If you like a fuller lemon flavour use the juice of a whole lemon. I've also left out the lemon totally when I didn't have one, still a great taste.
- Cooking time is approximate, it depends on which method you use. You could also cut up the chicken and skewer -- reduce marinade and cook times.